Friday 7 August 2009

Fun with the new Conky 1.7.1.1

So, I've just downloaded the new Conky 1.7.1.1, primarily because everyone else seemed to be using it, and I wanted to keep up with the Joneses...Well, primarily to keep up with narf41 over at ubuntuforums.org. Moving on.

I built a new Conky around a wallpaper I found recently. The concept was that the Conky would interact with the desktop like a notification system...Hard to explain, so I'll just show you some screenies:
From Screenshots

This is the "normal" mode, where the announcement board has all the basic info, such as the battery and file system bars and the CPU and memory usage.

Then, when the wireless is turned on:
From Screenshots


And when Rhythmbox is playing:
From Screenshots

This is my favourite bit, actually, as in addition to the ${image} function, I've also discovered the ${scroll} function, which keeps the artist & track names inside the speech bubble by scrolling them.

You can download the entire package, with graphics and config files from my gnome-look.org profile.

(Please note that I can't take any credit for the artwork as the only part of this I did was the .conkyrc and the conkyForecast.template! As many of the credits I could find are contained in the README.txt file.)

5 comments:

  1. Looks like I need to update my Conky and jump into the forum on UF. I'm running just a basic almost standard script, but what you've done looks really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Conky, just a thought regarding the wireless, but perhaps the figure could gain some comedy Mr Potato Head ears when it is on, in a similar way that he gains the "comedy" mouth when Rhythmbox is on... just a thought anyways :]

    Great work, been enjoying your posts on UF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @tucklive -- Get in there! I'm really enjoying working with Conky at the moment. It's really flexible and can do some amazing stuff with a little creativity! Keep checking the Ubuntu Forums; there are some great posters on there :)

    @SubBass...Actually, I like that idea with the ears! I'll have to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ali. Your Conky looks fantastic - however, when I downloaded it from the gnome-look profile, it was missing the .conkyrc file, which is probably quite important to recreating your effect!

    Keep up the great work!

    longpete

    ReplyDelete
  5. Duh - I should've checked "Show hidden files" in konqueror! What a dummy!

    longpete

    ReplyDelete